Skip to main content

Peru - Day 2 - Cusco - Friday, Sept. 4

This is my travel log. Don't feel obligated to read it. If you want to see pictures...check facebook or try this link.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2289452&id=17818893&l=12cd2fd980

Today we woke up early (5:30 am), ate another amazing buffet breakfast and went to the airport to catch our flight to Cusco. We drank our Coca Tea (this tea is made from the same plant that cocaine is made from…so you could call it “crack tea”) to prepare for our trip to the higher altitude (1,100 ft). We arrived at the airport in Cusco and immediately notice we were at a higher altitude. We moved a a slower pace so we wouldn’t faint. We got on the buses and mom immediately started doing business with the vendors through the windows. Pretty impressive! At the hotel, we rested and drank more coca tea.

An interesting thing about Peru is the vendors trying to sell you things on the street. They have it down to an art. One person managed to take pictures of us at all the stops (and we didn’t realize it). He would then make postcards with them and find us at our hotel to sell to us. I’m still trying to figure out how they even knew where our hotel was! They also seemed to know exactly where we were going and would be there waiting for us at each stop. Another favorite vendor was selling paintings. He introduced himself a John Travolta, which was his way of connecting to the American. He was always waiting for me when I got back to the hotel. I think it might have been love.

At 1:30 pm, we boarded the buses and we ventured into the city of Cusco. First we visited Coricanha, an ancient Inca temple that was later built over by the Spaniards. While touring Coricanha, mom got a little light-headed and went to sit in the same shade. Shortly after she went to sit down, I had to join her. The high altitude had a great impact on us, sea-level dwellers. Within a couple of minutes, we were both find and up and moving again.

Then we went to Sacsayhuaman, were we saw 15 ton stones that were cut perfectly to fit together. At the top, there was an amazing view of Cusco.

We then went to another site where there was a cave with a stone table said to be used for mummifications. There was also a huge throne.

Tired and exhausted from the long day, we went to dinner at Incanto in the plaza of Cusco. There we ate some Peruvian dishes including Alpaca, which was DELICIOUS! We came home and tried to get some sleep for another early morning.

In Cusco, as soon as the sun went down, so did the temperature.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kansas City Temple Dedication

I have this fabulous friend that lives in Manhattan, Kansas going to Kansas State University. I have been really wanting to visit her for some time and I finally made it happen! The Kansas City Temple was going to be dedicated the first weekend in May and so what better time for me to come out. Friday Night, we went to a Jamaican restaurant in Manhattan. (Yes, they had one there...not expecting that!) You really felt like you were in Jamaica until you stepped out of the restaurant and realized you were in Manhattan, Kansas. After dinner, we went for a walk in Aggieville. The hang out olace in town. Yes, it was only 3 blocks long. We got ice cream sandwiches from Cold Stone. They were delicious and spent some time at one of the local bars until I got too tired and we decided to call it a night. Saturday Morning, we went walking around her neighborhood. The weather was amazing! Then we headed back to Kansas City for the cultural event. Along the way we...

Bowling League

About three months ago, my roommate decided to put together a bowling league. Even though I'm not a great bowler, I thought it would be fun to join. I bowled really well the first night but it was all downhill from the first evening. Throughout the league, we did have some fun bets going. This picture is the result of one. This is the result of a lost bet! The last night of bowling! The bowling shoes that brought success to most of us (not me) My awesome team!!! The winning team!!!

Trebek

Last Friday, I went and saw Jeopardy being filmed here in DC at the DAR Constitutional Hall. We were there for the Teen Tournament. During the commercial breaks, Alex Trebek would answer questions. I was surprised how genuine he was. He really loves his job. We also saw him make a mistake, which apparently was the first time in a while. They were sure quite what to do because he read the answer in the questions. They ended up stopping the filming and coming up with a new question. What a fun experience!