Skip to main content

Guatemala AKA The Celestial Kingdom

I've traveled the world and seen amazing cities, sites, and places but i've found the most beautiful experiences come because of those with whom you travel.

A beautiful view from the Bus!
Guatemala was never on my list of places I wanted to travel. I'm not one to pass up a travel opportunity though. So when the opportunity presented itself, I took it. I knew that I was going to be traveling with my parents and brother. I would also be traveling with the same group I went to Peru two years ago. There's something amazingly special about this group of people. Most of the people in this group met while they were missionaries serving in Mexico, 40 years ago. There probably isn't a better group of people to spend time with. They're some of the most genuinely caring people I've ever met. So even if Guatemala wasn't my top choices of places to travel, traveling with this group of people would make up for it.

As it turns out, Guatemala far exceeded my expectations. It is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever traveled. The ruins witnessed were amazing, the landscape stunning, and warmer weather (though sometimes rainy).

While in Guatemala, we were able to visit several different cities. We flew into Guatemala City, where we didn't stay long. It's too dangerous to be there. We spent a lot of time on the bus traveling to different cities. The first stop along our journey was Copan, Hondurus.

Sleeping on the Bus

Looking Good on the bus


It was super rainy. We almost didn't make it to our destination.




Having fun on the bus

Their cute little Taxis
Despite some mudslides, road closures, and wet road conditions, we made it to our first destination - Copan, Honduras

Beautiful Birds










What a cute family!

AMAZING!


Then we headed back to Guatemala to see some other ruins - Quirigua.





Banana trees

The hotel we were staying in was amazing! It was right on Lake Peten near Flores. The grounds of the hotel made it feel like a paradisaical place.

A view from our Hotel! AMAZING! Right on Lake Peten.




I found the saunas at the hotel
Tender moment
While we were vacationing, we also were able to celebrate my dad's birthday. For his birthday, we visited the ruins of Yaxha.
Happy Birthday, Dad!

Breathtaking!






Ceviche - YUMMY!

Tikal - Just when you thought the ruins couldn't be more magnificent, they are!












 





We are so silly!


After Tikal, we went Zip-lining! It was incredibly gorgeous and an amazingly fun!

My roommate and I



Hanging upside down!


He was a pro! They even wanted him to come work for them!
 The beautiful city, Flores




One of the neatest experiences we had was to meet students who were receiving sponsors to help them with school. It was amazing to see how grateful they were for the help and to have the privilege of attending school.



Making tortillas

Stopping to get our shoes shined!

 Lake Atitlan - This may be the most beautiful place I'll ever travel.



The roads were rough getting there. We almost didn't go because of the poor travel conditions.




This was the courtyard in my hotel.

View from our hotel room
Heading to San Marcos - Another city on the lake

Brought supplies to the school at San Marcos
It was a beautiful School

Panajachel


Seriously...it was an incredible view.









 Last stop - Antiqua
Our hotel was converted from a monestary




Happy Birthday, Brother! :)

Hector's















The journey we took through Guatemala was amazing. While surrounded by amazing scenery, I also associated with great people. Their spirits uplifted and beautified the experience and me.

Comments

akidd said…
Holy cow. I would never have guessed that Guatemala would be so absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing!
Stephen said…
Great Recap Bekah. Awesome Trip!
MAMA T said…
I was so excited to see you in an unexpected place. You got some incredible pictures of the beautiful country. I will miss seeing you when we visit the Clemans family. If you are ever in Michigan please stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

Bree's Back and She's Better then Ever!

Bree and I have been friends for a while now. Our friendship began when we were roommates at BYU after meeting our freshmen years (over a decade ago!). She just returned home from serving a mission in Spokane, Washington and it had been a long time since I'd seen her. We've shared some fun times together over the years and I couldn't wait to see her again. * As a side note* I love Bree and think she's amazing. She can sing, play the guitar, piano and drums, and she writes her own songs (even has her own CD). She wrote me a song years ago! She's also amazing at any sports she plays, especially frisbee though. In addition to this, Bree is just so fun to hang out with. So Bree invited me to come up and join her for her first YSA dance after the mission. Since, I love YSA dances ( I actually can't stand them...i really just love Bree), I said I would go. So, after work on Friday, I dressed up and drove 2 hours up to York, PA. This dance had to be one of the most ...

I'm Worth a Grand More and Pounds Less

I did it!!! I went the whole year of 2008 without eating sugar! At the end of last year, my mom challenged anyone in my family to go the year without eating sugar. Now when I say "no sugar", I don't mean nothing. I mean no sweets, candy, cookies, etc. I ate fruits and other items with minimal sugar (for example - Cold cereals with 6 grams or less). I also had 3 days were i could "cheat". So what was my motivating factor? $1,000 and the thrill of a challenge . I'm not one to pass up a challenge or a dare. My mom offered to pay $1,000 to anyone that completed the challenge. Though most people thought I was crazy, I wanted to prove I could do it. During the first couple of months it was really hard to give up the enticing sweets and goodies offered to me on a daily basis. My dreams even began to manifest my desire to eat candy, as I was sneaking bites of candy and licks of lollipops all night. I'd wake up thinking I'd ruined the deal but then the rea...

Kansas City Temple Dedication

I have this fabulous friend that lives in Manhattan, Kansas going to Kansas State University. I have been really wanting to visit her for some time and I finally made it happen! The Kansas City Temple was going to be dedicated the first weekend in May and so what better time for me to come out. Friday Night, we went to a Jamaican restaurant in Manhattan. (Yes, they had one there...not expecting that!) You really felt like you were in Jamaica until you stepped out of the restaurant and realized you were in Manhattan, Kansas. After dinner, we went for a walk in Aggieville. The hang out olace in town. Yes, it was only 3 blocks long. We got ice cream sandwiches from Cold Stone. They were delicious and spent some time at one of the local bars until I got too tired and we decided to call it a night. Saturday Morning, we went walking around her neighborhood. The weather was amazing! Then we headed back to Kansas City for the cultural event. Along the way we...