Skip to main content

Thankful for Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving this year, I took a journey across the country. And oh was it a journey!

My family had decided to spend Thanksgiving at our house in Zion's National Park. A couple weeks before our trip, we realized the house was double booked. So my family had to find another place to stay. Luckily, my mom found a lovely house on the other side of Zion's National Park. This meant that my trip out there was going to be an hour longer.

After running in my Turkey Trot, I left work a little bit early and headed to the airport. Thanks to my mom's frequent flyer miles, I was flying first class! It was a long flight and I made it to Las Vegas around 7 pm, after a short delay in Denver. I barely caught the shuttle to Saint George. Thanks to the 8-year boy in the van, I was entertained the whole 2 1/2 hour ride to Saint George. Arriving to Saint George around 11:30 pm, I found the car my brother had left for me. I drove to his house and stayed the night by myself.

Anxious to see my family, I got up early the next morning and drove another 2 1/2 hours through the snowy canyon. Twenty four hours later, I was very happy to be at my final destinations, where a delicious breakfast (made by mom!) was awaiting me.
She knew the flash was coming and would always shut one eye. It was so cute!







The rest of the weekend was spent enjoying the family, the snow, and the beautiful scenery. We took hikes, we played football, we roasted marshmallows over a fire, we ate delicious food, we watched BYU football and we listened to BYU basketball. I spent a lot of time reading, relaxing, and relishing in time spent with my cute niece. The exciting news was that my sister-in-law is pregnant again! YAY for another niece.
Almost to the top of the canyon






The night before I left, I drove with my parents to pick up my other niece in Beaver. Upon arriving back to the house, I had to pack to leave early in the morning to head back home. Having just laid down to sleep, my brother came and told me another snowstorm was coming and that if I wanted to catch my flight the next morning, I'd have to leave right then.

I don't know who was more excited to see who?


Exhausted, I knew I wouldn't make the drive to Saint George on my own. My youngest brother is the best and offered to drive me there. So at 1 am, we hopped in the car and began the drive to Saint George. Because of the storm, we had to go further south through Colorado City. We arrived at my brother's house at 3 am, which gave me  a couple of hours to sleep before driving to Vegas to catch my flight home.

I woke up early Sunday morning, after a few hours of sleep, to met up with my aunt and uncle, who were headed back to California. They graciously gave me a ride to the airport, where I then made the long flight back to Virginia. It had been a quick trip but worth it to see my family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kansas City Temple Dedication

I have this fabulous friend that lives in Manhattan, Kansas going to Kansas State University. I have been really wanting to visit her for some time and I finally made it happen! The Kansas City Temple was going to be dedicated the first weekend in May and so what better time for me to come out. Friday Night, we went to a Jamaican restaurant in Manhattan. (Yes, they had one there...not expecting that!) You really felt like you were in Jamaica until you stepped out of the restaurant and realized you were in Manhattan, Kansas. After dinner, we went for a walk in Aggieville. The hang out olace in town. Yes, it was only 3 blocks long. We got ice cream sandwiches from Cold Stone. They were delicious and spent some time at one of the local bars until I got too tired and we decided to call it a night. Saturday Morning, we went walking around her neighborhood. The weather was amazing! Then we headed back to Kansas City for the cultural event. Along the way we...

Bowling League

About three months ago, my roommate decided to put together a bowling league. Even though I'm not a great bowler, I thought it would be fun to join. I bowled really well the first night but it was all downhill from the first evening. Throughout the league, we did have some fun bets going. This picture is the result of one. This is the result of a lost bet! The last night of bowling! The bowling shoes that brought success to most of us (not me) My awesome team!!! The winning team!!!

Trebek

Last Friday, I went and saw Jeopardy being filmed here in DC at the DAR Constitutional Hall. We were there for the Teen Tournament. During the commercial breaks, Alex Trebek would answer questions. I was surprised how genuine he was. He really loves his job. We also saw him make a mistake, which apparently was the first time in a while. They were sure quite what to do because he read the answer in the questions. They ended up stopping the filming and coming up with a new question. What a fun experience!