Skip to main content

Christmas in Rockville


For Christmas this year, my family went to one of our favorite places on earth, Rockville, Utah. All of my brothers and their families were there (except, of course, my brother, Stephen, who is serving a mission in Carlsbad, CA). I had to work all the way up until the 23rd of December. So immediately after work, I rushed to the airport to catch a plane to SLC, Utah.

My flight was wonderful because I'm lucky my parents love me a lot (and fly a lot) and my dad used his frequent flyer miles to get the ticket, which meant I was flying 1st class. That was fun though I felt like a spoiled rich child.

I didn't make it to my brother's house in Provo until after 1 in the morning (Utah time) and we were planning on leaving at 7 am to make the rest of the 4 hour drive to Rockville. By the time we made it to Rockville, I was tired and felt gross from all the traveling but happy to be at my destination safely.

It was good to see everyone and Christmas Eve was lots of fun. Our stockings were hung from rope and carabiners with care. Mom and Dad attempted to have a Christmas Eve program. It was mostly dominated by my cute little niece playing the piano and just being cute.




Christmas morning was perfect with silvery snow falling. The snow beautifully covered the dirty ground and was unexpected since we were in Southern Utah.

After everyone had awaken, we began opening gifts. In my family, opening the gifts is no easy task. We have a tradition that requires the person receiving a gift to complete a task before they can open the gift. For example, one year each person had to tell a joke before opening the gift and another year we had to complete a certain number of push-ups, sit-ups, or a lap around the house. It definitely makes for an entertaining Christmas morning.

This year my brother decided that we should each say a proverb before opening our gift. Needless to say, we got some funny ones and we all had to start getting creative. Some people were better at coming up with proverbs than others.




Another highlight of Christmas, was talking to my brother serving a mission. That was one of the best presents we received. He's doing well and loving his mission.

The rest of the week involved hiking at Zion's National Park, where it was snowy and beautiful, going to movies, playing Wii (tried to beat my brother at Mario Kart...maybe next year), reading good books, working on jigsaw puzzle, singing and dancing with my niece, watching BYU basketball games, sleeping lots, watching movies at home, and just having lots of fun with the family.

Comments

Jen said…
Oh, Bekah -- I miss that place! I love seeing pictures of your family and you, especially your cute little niece. And, I LOVE the opening-the-present requirement. We may have to instigate that in our house.

Popular posts from this blog

Bree's Back and She's Better then Ever!

Bree and I have been friends for a while now. Our friendship began when we were roommates at BYU after meeting our freshmen years (over a decade ago!). She just returned home from serving a mission in Spokane, Washington and it had been a long time since I'd seen her. We've shared some fun times together over the years and I couldn't wait to see her again. * As a side note* I love Bree and think she's amazing. She can sing, play the guitar, piano and drums, and she writes her own songs (even has her own CD). She wrote me a song years ago! She's also amazing at any sports she plays, especially frisbee though. In addition to this, Bree is just so fun to hang out with. So Bree invited me to come up and join her for her first YSA dance after the mission. Since, I love YSA dances ( I actually can't stand them...i really just love Bree), I said I would go. So, after work on Friday, I dressed up and drove 2 hours up to York, PA. This dance had to be one of the most ...

I'm Worth a Grand More and Pounds Less

I did it!!! I went the whole year of 2008 without eating sugar! At the end of last year, my mom challenged anyone in my family to go the year without eating sugar. Now when I say "no sugar", I don't mean nothing. I mean no sweets, candy, cookies, etc. I ate fruits and other items with minimal sugar (for example - Cold cereals with 6 grams or less). I also had 3 days were i could "cheat". So what was my motivating factor? $1,000 and the thrill of a challenge . I'm not one to pass up a challenge or a dare. My mom offered to pay $1,000 to anyone that completed the challenge. Though most people thought I was crazy, I wanted to prove I could do it. During the first couple of months it was really hard to give up the enticing sweets and goodies offered to me on a daily basis. My dreams even began to manifest my desire to eat candy, as I was sneaking bites of candy and licks of lollipops all night. I'd wake up thinking I'd ruined the deal but then the rea...

Kansas City Temple Dedication

I have this fabulous friend that lives in Manhattan, Kansas going to Kansas State University. I have been really wanting to visit her for some time and I finally made it happen! The Kansas City Temple was going to be dedicated the first weekend in May and so what better time for me to come out. Friday Night, we went to a Jamaican restaurant in Manhattan. (Yes, they had one there...not expecting that!) You really felt like you were in Jamaica until you stepped out of the restaurant and realized you were in Manhattan, Kansas. After dinner, we went for a walk in Aggieville. The hang out olace in town. Yes, it was only 3 blocks long. We got ice cream sandwiches from Cold Stone. They were delicious and spent some time at one of the local bars until I got too tired and we decided to call it a night. Saturday Morning, we went walking around her neighborhood. The weather was amazing! Then we headed back to Kansas City for the cultural event. Along the way we...